Oxidation of ions or neutral molecules can take place at the anode, and the reduction of ions or neutral molecules at the cathode.
Oxidation and Reduction reactions takes place in the cell, so this is known as reduce reaction.
It can also be memorized as (OIL RIG) where Oxidation is losing of electrons and Reduction is gaining of electrons.
Substances that have the ability to oxidize other substances are said to be oxidative and are known as oxidizing agents, oxidants or oxidizers. Put another way, the oxidant removes electrons from another substance, and is thus reduced itself. And because it "accepts" electrons it is also called an electron acceptor.
Substances that have the ability to reduce other substances are said to be reductive and are known as reducing agents, reductants, or reducers. Put in another way, the reductant transfers electrons to another substance, and is thus oxidized itself. And because it "donates" electrons it is also called an electron donor.
- POLYMERS- NOTES
- periodic table - groups -notes
- analysis - NOTES/ flame test
- PURIFICATION AND USES OF COPPER
- electrolysis of sodium chloride
- electrolysis of lead bromide-notes
- oxidation and reduction- notes
- electrolysis- notes
- summary non metals- notes
- Experiment to show the % of oxygen in air- notes
- Composition of gases in air - notes
- preparation of hydrogen- notes
- sulphur- notes
- ammomium salts- notes
- ammonia-notes/IGCSE /GCSE -CHEMISTRY
- test for carbondioxide- notes
- properties and uses of carbondioxide - notes/IGCSE...
- preparation of carbondioxide- notes/IGCSE /GCSE/CH...
- formation of oxides- Notes
- reactions of copper- notes/ IGCSE / GCSE
- reactions of iron-igcse /gcse notes
- atomic structure - work sheet
- ▼ October (22)